All Are Welcome at Crescendo Academy of Music
Crescendo Academy of Music
359 S Kalamazoo Mall # 12, Kalamazoo, MI 49007
Regardless of age, musical ability, or financial status, there’s a place for your kid at this special community music school in downtown Kalamazoo.
There’s no “too young” or “too old” at Crescendo. Sign up the toddlers, sign up the grandparents – there are classes for all ages.
Is your kid a music newbie or a virtuoso? Either way, no worries! All skill levels are accommodated through individualized instruction.
If money is a concern, need-based financial assistance is offered for all classes and abilities. Your budding musician can also participate in the school’s instrument loan program – pretty awesome.
Kids Learn from Positive and Supportive Instructors
You’ll love the positive and supportive atmosphere led by professional and passionate instructors. Your kid won’t just learn to play an instrument – they’ll also improve reading skills, discipline, and self-confidence.
With more than 35 faculty members, 570 students, and over 30 years of providing top-notch instrument and vocal classes, this school definitely knows what it’s doing.
The facility in Kalamazoo’s Epic Center features 19 studios and three ensemble rooms. Crescendo also is a member in good standing of the National Guild of Community Arts Education.
Meet the Team at Crescendo
Your child will be in great hands with Crescendo’s highly-qualified and skilled teaching artists. All have earned bachelor’s degrees or higher in music education or music performance or have many years of teaching experience.
They also perform professionally in orchestras, symphonies, and chamber ensembles throughout West Michigan.
Crescendo Academy of Music Lessons
With a huge variety of classes, there truly is something for everyone. You can choose between individual lessons or group classes.
Either way, your kid will have regular opportunities to participate in performances.
Customize Your Private Lessons
Whether your kid wants to play an instrument or learn to sing – or both, like my kid – private lessons are available.
Classes are offered on strings, woodwinds, brass, piano, guitar, mandolin, percussion, voice, theory, and composition.
You can choose from 30, 45, or 60-minute sessions year-round. You’ll coordinate with the instructor to determine the schedule that works for your family, based on age and skill level.
Join an Inspiring Group Lesson
For kids who thrive in social settings, there are plenty of group classes and ensemble programs from which to choose.
Classes start as young as infants and extend to “big kids” too. Some programs may require placement based on skill level and experience.
• Mando For Kids: elementary schoolers learn to play the mandolin as a classical instrument
• Building Blocks Strings: students review pieces they’ve learned in private lessons
• Music Theory & Composition: requires passing a placement exam
• Music Together®: music classes for infants through six years old with a caregiver
Music Together® Classes
Internationally recognized Music Together® offers an engaging 45 minutes of fun with kids and their caregivers each week. Accredited teaching artists introduce children to making music in a relaxed, playful, non-performance-oriented setting.
Attendees receive CDs and songbooks tied to each session’s unique experiences for use at home.
Music Together® is offered in three courses at Crescendo: Music Together® Babies, Music Together® Mixed Age Classes and Rhythm Kids.
Infants to Six-Year-Olds Enjoy Music Together®
Music Together® courses cover the tiniest music lovers through early elementary learners:
• Music Together® Babies: Infants 8 months old and younger with a caregiver.
• Music Together® Mixed Age: Mixed-aged classes include babies through five years old with a caregiver.
• Rhythm Kids: ages 4-6 plus a caregiver drum, sing and move to rhythms from around the world
Music Together® 2022-23 Schedule
• 10-week Fall Session: Sep 6 – Nov 14
• 3-week Interim Session: Dec 2 – Dec 19
• 10-week Winter Session: Jan 9 – Mar 17
• 10-week Spring Session: Apr 3 – Jun 9
• 6-week Summer Session: begins Jun 2023
Each 2022-2023 session focuses on a different song collection.
Crescendo offers multiple ensemble opportunities. Ensemble membership is by teacher recommendation and/or audition.
• Chamber Music Ensembles: all instruments plus voice
• Community Voices: led by a music therapist for intellectually disabled teens
• Fiddlers: for violinists, violists, cellists, bassists, and guitarists who want to explore folk fiddle music
Community Partnerships & Outreach Programs
As a non-profit school, Crescendo collaborates with educational, cultural, and neighborhood organizations.
Partners include the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra, local public schools, and retirement centers.
The school also participates in local community events such as Harvest Fest, Wheatland Music Festival, and Kalamazoo Art Hops.
Kalamazoo Area Outreach Programs
• Marvelous Music: a collaboration between Crescendo and the Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra for at-risk preschool children
• Vicksburg Strings: a string class for grades 3-5 from Indian Lake, Sunset Lake, or Tobey Elementary
• Kalamazoo Public Schools String Coaches: for students at Loy Norrix High School and Maple Street Magnet School for the Arts
Outreach programs are offered at schools to ensure that music education reaches all children.
Infants through adults can continue their music education with summer programs at Crescendo, including Music Together®, workshops, camps and classes.
Crescendo Academy of Music
359 S Kalamazoo Mall # 12
Kalamazoo, MI 49007