What to do with Teens or Older Kids? You’re in Luck.
Teens can be a tough audience.
Sometimes it seems all of the events are geared for little kids, but teens still want to have fun and explore.
Thankfully, there’s plenty of options in the Kalamazoo area and beyond for things to do for teens. From adventure rope courses to tabletop gaming, your teenager can get out of the house, hang with friends, and even discover a new interest.
They might even put those cell phones down…well, after they text a friend to invite them along.
35+ Things to Do with Teenagers Around Kalamazoo
Here’s the lowdown of the best things to do in Kalamazoo with teens and tweens.
We’ve highlighted lots of teen-friendly activity centers, shops, restaurants, and events. You’re sure to find something fun for your teen(s) to do and something that they’ll deem tik-tok worthy.
This is a time in life when teens really begin to carve out their identities and determine what experiences and hobbies truly excite them.
We’ve gathered over 30 fun pastimes they may actually enjoy.
Things to Do with Teens
1. Airborne Adventure’s GLOW takes jumping to a new level. Lasers, music, and blacklight turn the entire place into a jumping dance club every Friday from 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM. Jumpers must wear bright, neon clothing or they can buy a shirt that glows.
2. Explore new heights at Allegan Event with an outdoor zip line (open seasonally) and the year-round indoor adventure center with ropes courses, climbing walls, and plenty of vertically challenging fun.
4. Aim high with a road trip to Skydive Tecumseh – an adrenaline rush like no other.
5. Ride shotgun at the Kalamazoo Speedway’s NASCAR Ride Along Experience.
6. Head to Airway Fun Center to check out the bowling, arcade, climbing wall, 4Spin Gyroscope, laser tag, and virtual reality.
7. Take a belay class and then rock climb all year round without ever heading to the mountains at Climb Kalamazoo.
8. Strap on those rollerblades. Rollerworld is a fun place to get exercise, hang out with friends, and listen to music.
9. Head to the Air Zoo to see their latest exhibit or climb aboard a 3D Full-Motion Flight Simulator. Save your money to take control of a real plane with a barnstorming flight experience in an open cockpit Biplane Adventure (seasonally mid-May thru September). *COVID Note: The Flight Simulators and Biplane Adventure are currently closed due to the pandemic.
10. Volunteer at one of the local libraries to gain experience and volunteer hours and make friends. Comstock Township Library offers a teen volunteer program for the Summer Reading Program. Portage District Library and Kalamazoo Public Library offer teen volunteer opportunities during non-pandemic times.
11. Test out your ice-skating skills at Wings West open skate.
13. Explore the inflatables, mini golf, and arcade games at Jungle Joe’s Family Fun Center.
14. Learn historic medieval martial arts with daggers, swords, and spears at Southside Dojo’s L’Arte D’Armizare classes.
15. Try a one-hour kayak river excursion with Plainwell Kayak Company.
16. Test your legs and bike the entire Kal-Haven Trail.
18. Play team frisbee with the Kalamazoo Ultimate Disc League. They offer a youth league.
19. Relax in a tube or try the water-slides at Flash Flood Outdoor Waterpark in Battle Creek during the summer.
20. Go paddle boarding at Gun Lake. You can rent a kayak or go swimming with your friends, too.
Food & Drink Lovers
22. Grab homemade root beer and a dog with your friends at The Root Beer Stand.
23. Go on a donut adventure by sampling some delicious Kalamazoo donuts.
Artsy & Creative Activities
24. Lights! Camera! Action! Sign up for a class at the Civic Theatre to explore acting basics such as speaking with a different accent, writing plays, as well as beginning dance. Classes for ages 12 and up, and 16+ can take adult classes.
25. Draw, paint, and learn photography at one of the many teen classes offered by the KIA with classes offered year-round.
26. Head to Art Hop on the first Friday of the month with your friends. It’s a perfect way to explore Kalamazoo and support local artists.
27. Paint the night away at Art Bayou.
28. Drop by Kalamazoo Candle Company and make your very own candle. Explore the different fragrances and mix & match your favorites until you find the perfect combination. Create your very own labels for unique-as-you candles.
29. Visit Aroma Labs and make your own fragrance. Book a time online for the Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids location.
30. Ever wanted to try glass blowing? Glass Art Kalamazoo holds classes; grab a couple friends and check one out.
31. Book a party with the video game theater from BattleGR.
32. Grab a bunch of friends and try to solve one of seven different puzzles to escape in Escapology at Airway Fun Center.
33. Pac-Man or Donkey Kong anyone? Play the arcade and pinball games your parents played at Klassic Arcade in Gobles.
34. Grab your friends and play retro arcade games and pinball at Rocket Arcade in South Haven.
Watch a Movie or Event
36. In the summer, make your way to Coldwater to catch a flick at the old-fashioned Capri Drive-In Theater.
37. Watch a movie on the IMAX screen at Celebration Cinema Crossroads.
Does your teen have a favorite activity we missed? Let us know in the comments!