images: Maple Hill Holiday Parade
61st Maple Hill Holiday Parade in Downtown Kalamazoo
Christmas events in Kalamazoo officially kick off in mid November with the Kalamazoo holiday parade in downtown Kalamazoo.
This annual tradition brings 30,000 people downtown for the parade and after-parade festivities.
Read on for the parade route, parking info and after-parade fun!
PS: Do you want to help with the parade? They could use some volunteers too!
Maple Hill Holiday Parade Highlights
The 61st Maple Hill Holiday Parade starts at 11:00 AM and lasts about 90 minutes.
Bundle up for the parade and plan to stay downtown afterward- the fun doesn’t stop when the procession ends!
Post Parade Day Fun
• Winnie Winkie Bars
• Elf on the Shelf Bingo
• Hot Chocolate Stations
• See Santa & Mrs. Claus
• Eat and shop downtown
Kalamazoo Holiday Parade Dates & Times
November 18, 2023 at 11:00 AM
Downtown Kalamazoo – Kalamazoo MI 49007
The parade starts at Portage & Lovell Street at 11:00 AM and proceeds as follows:
- Lovell Street to Park Street
- Park Street to Michigan Avenue
- Michigan Avenue to Pitcher Street
- Pitcher Street to Lovell Street
Parking on Parade Day
With thousands attending the parade each year, parking can seem a bit daunting. Here are the parking guidelines from parade organizers:
Where Not to Park
No parking is allowed along the parade route. Also, do not park in areas marked as Tow Zones.
Parking structures: Parking structures are available for parking. However, the structures are blocked until the parade passes that location.
Most flexible parking: If you want to leave at any time during the parade, park on the side streets on the outer edges of the parade route.
After Parade Activities
Downtown Kalamazoo offers food, shopping and fun on any day of the year, but area businesses up their game for parade day.
- Santa & Mrs. Claus: the famous duo will be downtown for visits and activities (details to be announced)
- Hot Chocolate Stations: snag a kid-designed commemorative mug and refill at stations throughout downtown.
- Shop: Local stores will be open and have something for all ages and interests. Use our Kalamazoo Shopping Guide to plan your shopping adventures.
- Food: from treats and sweets to amazing sit down restaurants, there is no shortage of spots to grab something delicious downtown.
- Elf on the Shelf Bingo: Find all of the elves on the shelves in area stores, and be entered to win a prize!
- Petting Zoo: New this year!
Maple Hill Holiday Parade Volunteers Needed
The parade is a success each year thanks to many volunteers.
Interested in helping out? Here’s where you can lend a hand:
Parade Line-up (35 volunteers): Greet the parade unit coordinators (and attendees) and help line them up in their section.
Collectors for Loaves and Fishes (10-15 volunteers): Push shopping carts along the parade route to collect donated food items.
Santa’s Elves (6-8 volunteers): Join Santa and Mrs. Claus as an elf by walking the parade route. Elf costumes are provided.
Giant Balloon Fill-in Carriers (# of volunteers needed depends on the number of balloons): Help carry a giant balloon (cold air or helium balloon) and fill in with other volunteers where needed.
After Parade Day Volunteers (15 volunteers): Help after the parade with hands-on activities, crafts and Santa visits.
Are you a Kalamazoo Holiday Parade Fan?
Does your family attend the Maple Hill Holiday Parade in Kalamazoo? Share your experiences in the comments below.