Where to Find Local Food in Kalamazoo
Kalamazoo offers many options to shop locally. Whether it’s a family-owned pizza shop, clothing store or candy shop, Southwest Michigan is home to many businesses run by local families.
As the weather turns warmer, many prefer to supplement their grocery store finds with local produce and meat. Kalamazoo can deliver both in spades: we’ve found multiple options to stock your fridge and pantry with locally-grown food.
Try this list for local farmers markets, bakeries, butcher shops, farms and restaurants offering meat, produce and dairy items. We’ve also included opening dates for all of your favorite farmers markets; they’ll be up and running in May and June this year.
Mattawan Mechanical Services has been local, family-owned and operated since 1992. “The Comfort Crew” will make you feel comfortable from start to finish.
Whether you need help with air conditioning, furnace repair, filter replacement, or HVAC replacement, you can trust their technicians in your home. They will even leave it cleaner than they found it.
Local Farmers Markets
We are counting down the days until farmers market season in Kalamazoo. While traditionally a weekend event, many markets now offer both a weekend and weekday option. Weekday market typically open later in the season (June).
Note: The Kalamazoo Farmers Market has a temporary home in 2021 at Mayors’ Riverfront Park, while its Bank Street location is under renovation.
|2021 Farmers Market Opening Days|
|May 1: Kalamazoo|
May 5: Battle Creek
May 8: Texas Township
May 9: Portage
May 19: Richland
May 21: Vicksburg
June 2: Mattawan
SW Michigan Farmers Markets
- Battle Creek Farmers Market | 25 S McCamly St, Battle Creek, MI 49017 | Wednesday, Friday
- Kalamazoo Farmers Market | 251 Mills St, Kalamazoo, MI 49048 | Saturday, Tuesday, Thursday
- Mattawan Farmers Market | 52530 N Main St, Mattawan, MI 49071 (Vintage Inspired/Dragonfly Gardens)| Wednesday
- Portage Farmers Market | 7900 S Westnedge Ave, Portage, MI 49002 | Sunday
- Richland Farmers Market | 9400 East CD Ave, Richland, MI 49083 | Wednesday
- Texas Township Farmers Market | 7100 W Q Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49009 | Saturday, Tuesday
- Vicksburg Farmers Market| 300 N Richardson St, Vicksburg, MI 49097 | Friday
More Local Food
While bakeries are known for their tasty treats like cakes and cookies, they are also bread baking masters. If you’re looking for a grocery store alternative, these local shops have fresh loaves daily.
If you’re looking for meat, local butcher shops have you covered with beef, pork, and poultry (fresh or frozen). Many of these locations also offer dairy products and bulk meat purchases.
- Bailey’s Meats | 9641 8th St, Schoolcraft, MI 49087
- Bullseye Marketplace | 350 Johnnycake Ln, Three Rivers, MI 49093
- Galesburg Meat Co | 58 Mill St, Galesburg, MI 49053
- Park Street Market | 512 N Park St, Kalamazoo, MI 49007
- Pease Packing Corp | 8713 38th St S, Scotts, MI 49088
- Richland Meat Center | 7950 N 32nd St, Richland, MI 49083
- Stubbys Smoke House & Specialty Meats | 115 N Davis St, Vicksburg, MI 49097
- Terrill’s Market | 119 E Main St, Marcellus, MI 49067
- Texas Corners Specialty Meats | 7922 S 8th St, Kalamazoo, MI 49009
- V&V Quality Meats | 5002 Wynn Rd, Kalamazoo, MI 49048
Farms are another great alternative to purchase produce, eggs, dairy products, and meat. While some of these farmers may not be in your backyard, their distribution points likely are.
Nearly all of these have deliveries or CSA (community-supported agriculture) local pickup sites in Kalamazoo. Many of these farms participate in local farmers markets as well.
Want to shop for multiple farms at once? Michigan Farm to Family allows you to schedule home deliveries from a variety of participating farmers.
Local Meat Farms, Local Produce Farms + CSAs
- Bair Lane Farm | 53300 Bair Ln, Marcellus, MI 49067 | CSA box
- Bankson Lake Farm | 25236 CR 352, Lawton, MI 49065
- Bear Foot Farms/Thread Bear Creations | 40th St, Paw Paw, MI 49079
- Billy’s Eggs | 10520 N 17th St, Plainwell, MI 49080
- Butternut Sustainable Farms | 24624 Butternut Dr, Sturgis, MI 49091 | CSA box
- Carlson Farms | 34460 96th Ave, Lawton, MI 49065
- Crisp Country Acres | 5888 120th Ave, Holland, MI 49424 | CSA box
- Egly Land & Cattle Co. | 66645 39th St, Paw Paw, MI 49079
- Fitzs Farms | 58883 Ryan St, Mattawan, MI 49071
- Flowerfield Farmstead | 50330 Mill St, Three Rivers, MI 49093 | Home Delivery within radius
- Green Gardens Community Farm | 14201 H Dr N, Battle Creek, MI 49014 | CSA “Greenbox”
- Husted’s Farm Market | 9191 W Main St, Kalamazoo, MI 49009
- Jake’s Country Meats | 55721 Decatur Rd, Cassopolis, MI 49031 | Local pickup
- Joe’s Farm | 53323 Pulver Rd, Three Rivers, MI 49093 | Home Delivery (Kalamazoo County)
- Lake Village Homestead Farm | 7943 S 25th St, Kalamazoo, MI 49048 | Local bulk pickups/Food shares
- Long Valley Farm | 1616 Alamo Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49006 | CSA box
- Moo-nique Dairy | 59551 White Temple Rd, Vandalia, MI 49095 | Farm pick up or local delivery sites in Portage/Kalamazoo
- Oswalt Family Farms | 10144 E XY Ave, Vicksburg, MI 49097
- Otto’s Chicken | 5622 N Whitneyville Rd, Middleville, MI 49333 | Shop the farm store, farmers markets or Hardings
- Schultz Fruitridge Farms | 60139 County Rd 652, Mattawan, MI 49071
- The Garden Gals | 51172 US 131, Three Rivers, MI 49093
- Tiny Giant Farm | Kalamazoo Farmers Market, Texas Corners Farmers Market| CSA box
- Trillium Wood Farm | 1585 Frost Rd, Williamston, MI 48895| Pick up at the farm or FedEx delivery
- VerHage Fruit Farms & Cider Mill | 8619 West ML Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49009
Who knew restaurants sold anything other than prepared meals? We found multiple local spots that sell produce, meat, bread and other ingredients to prepare your own meals at home. Add these restaurants to your list of local food sources:
Kalamazoo Restaurants Offering Produce, Meat + Other Food
- Barrett’s SmokeHouse | 9942 Oakland Dr, Portage, MI 49024 | Beef, Pork, Chicken, Bratwurst, Jerky, Spices, Bread
- Oakwood Bistro (Market) | 3003 Oakland Dr, Kalamazoo, MI 49008| Beef, Pork, Chicken, Seafood, Produce, Eggs, Yeast, Flour, Sugar
- Jimmy Johns | Multiple Locations | French Bread
- Olga’s Kitchen | 5095 Century Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49006| Olga Bread (sold under Family Meals online)
- Panera (Grocery) | Multiple Locations | Yogurt, Milk, Produce
- Rykse & Co | 7141 W Q Ave, Kalamazoo, MI 49009 | Bread
- Shawarma King on Drake | 1441 S Drake Rd, Kalamazoo, MI 49006 | Chicken (breasts/whole), Pita Bread, Yogurt, Spices, Olive Oil, Pickles, Olives, Marinades
- Texas Roadhouse | 7039 S Westnedge Ave, Portage, MI 49002| Steak, Pork Chops