What to do with Teens or Older Kids? You’re in Luck.
Teens can be a tough audience.
Sometimes all of the events seem like they are geared for little kids, but teens still want to have fun, explore, and test their wings.
You’ll be delighted to see there are a variety of options in the Kalamazoo area and beyond. From adventure rope courses to tabletop gaming, your teenager can get out of the house, hang with friends, and even make a new interest.
They might even put those cell phones down…well, after they text a friend to invite them along.
We’re good at making people happy because we really know our patients and take the time to work with them one-on-one.
At DRO we pride ourselves on our commitment to helping people be the best version of themselves they can be. By providing an inclusive and fun environment, coupled with the highest quality care, we’re confident that our patients will love not only the outcome of their beautiful smile, but their entire journey along the way.
Important Message: Area businesses are working to implement procedures based on the new safety guidelines. For each of the attractions and events we mention, we include a link to the business website. Please use this link to confirm the details, hours of operation and any requirements guests must follow before visiting. Thank You!
30+ Perfect Ideas for Teen and Tween Fun Around Kalamazoo
Here’s the lowdown of the best things to do in Kalamazoo with teens.
We’ve highlighted lots of teen-friendly activity centers, shops, restaurants, and events – making for plenty of Insta-moments to share with friends, as well as treasured family travel memories.
This is a time in life when young people really begin to carve out their identities and determine what experiences and hobbies truly excite them. We’ve gathered 30 fun pastimes they may actually enjoy.
1. Airborne Adventure’s GLOW takes jumping to a new level. Lasers, music, and blacklight turn the entire place into a jumping dance club every Friday from 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Jumpers must wear bright, neon clothing or they can buy a shirt that glows.
2. Explore new heights at Allegan Event with an outdoor zip line (open seasonally) and the year-round indoor adventure center with ropes courses, climb walls, and plenty of vertically challenging fun.
3. Jump in the world’s first 4Spin Gyroscope at Airway Fun Center and achieve weightlessness with three of your friends.
6. Try a one-hour kayak river excursion with Plainwell Kayak Company.
7. Take a belay class and then rock climb all year round without ever heading to the mountains at Climb Kalamazoo.
8. Test your legs and bike the entire Kal-Haven Trail.
9. Aim high with a road trip to Skydive Tecumseh – an adrenaline rush like no other.
10. Ride shotgun at the Kalamazoo Speedway’s NASCAR Ride Along Experience.
11. Face the wind head-on with your friends on Echo Valley’s Toboggan Run or their giant tubing hill.
12. Learn historic medieval martial arts with daggers, swords, and spears at Southside Dojo’s L’Arte D’Armizare classes.
13. Get your dice ready and head to Fanfare on Wednesdays from 5:30 PM – 8:00 PM to play Dungeons & Dragons. All ages welcome, free, and the rules are taught if you’re a newbie.
15. Grab a bunch of friends and try to solve one of seven different puzzles to escape in Escapology at Airway Fun Center.
16. Pac-Man or Donkey Kong anyone? Play the arcade and pinball games your parents played at Klassic Arcade in Gobles.
17. Lights! Camera! Action! Sign up for a class at the Civic Theatre to explore acting basics such as speaking with a different accent, writing plays, as well as beginning dance. Classes for ages 12 and up, and 16+ can take adult classes.
18. Draw, paint, and learn photography at one of the many teen classes offered by the KIA with classes offered year-round.
19. Head to Art Hop on the first Friday of the month with your friends. It’s a perfect way to explore Kalamazoo and support local artists.
20. Play team frisbee with the Kalamazoo Ultimate Disc League. They offer a youth league.
22. Drop by Kalamazoo Candle Company and make your very own candle. Explore the different fragrances and mix & match your favorites until you find the perfect combination. Create your very own labels for unique-as-you candles.
24. Drink a cup of java tucked away at the trendy and scooter-cultured Fido Motors Cafe.
25. Grab homemade root beer and a dog with your friends at The Root Beer Stand.
26. Go on a donut adventure by attempting the Kalamazoo Donut Trail.
27. Head to the Air Zoo to see their latest exhibit or climb aboard a 3D Full-Motion Flight Simulator. Save your money to take control of a real plane with a barnstorming flight experience in an open cockpit Biplane adventure (seasonally mid-May thru September).
28. In the summer, make your way to Coldwater to catch a flick at the old-fashioned Capri Drive-In Theater.
29. Volunteer at one of the local libraries to gain experience and volunteer hours, and make friends. Kalamazoo Public Library has the Teen Task Force and Portage Library offers the Teen Volunteer Training Meetings twice a year. Check the PDL calendar for details.