Share Insta-Worthy Pics with One of These 30+ Teen-Tastic Adventures
This is a time in life when young people really begin to carve out their identities and determine what experiences and hobbies truly excite them. We’ve gathered 30 fun pastimes they may actually enjoy.
1. Airborne Adventure’s GLOW takes jumping to a new level. Lasers, music, and blacklight turn the entire place into a jumping dance club every Friday from 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM. Jumpers must wear bright, neon clothing or they can buy a shirt that glows.
2. Explore new heights at Allegan Event with an outdoor zip line (open seasonally) and the year-round indoor adventure center with ropes courses, climb walls, and plenty of vertically challenging fun.
3. Jump in the world’s first 4Spin Gyroscope at Airway Fun Center and achieve weightlessness with three of your friends.
4. Head up to Grand Rapids to transform into a ninja at one of the many ninja warrior courses: Rebounderz, and 3 Mile Project will get you started and the adrenaline pumping.
5. Strap on those rollerblades. Great Skate Roller Rink and Rollerworld are perfect places to get exercise, hang out with friends, and listen to music.
6. Try a one-hour kayak river excursion with Plainwell Kayak Company.
7. Take a belay class and then rock climb all year round without ever heading to the mountains at Climb Kalamazoo.
8. Test your legs and bike the entire Kal-Haven Trail.
9. Aim high with a road trip to Skydive Tecumseh – an adrenaline rush like no other.
10. Ride shotgun at the Kalamazoo Speedway’s NASCAR Ride Along Experience.
11. Face the wind head-on with your friends on Echo Valley’s Toboggan Run or their giant tubing hill.
12. Learn historic medieval martial arts with daggers, swords, and spears at Southside Dojo’s L’Arte D’Armizare classes.
13. Get your dice ready and head to Fanfare on Wednesdays from 5:30 PM – 8:00 PM to play Dungeons & Dragons. All ages welcome, free, and the rules are taught if you’re a newbie.
14. Book a room online and enter a new virtual world at Nova Virtual Reality or Glitch Gaming.
15. Grab a bunch of friends and try to solve one of seven different puzzles to escape in Escapology at Airway Fun Center.
16. Pac-Man or Donkey Kong anyone? Play the arcade and pinball games your parents played at Klassic Arcade in Gobles.
17. Lights! Camera! Action! Sign up for a class at the Civic Theatre to explore acting basics such as speaking with a different accent, writing plays, as well as beginning dance. Classes for ages 12 and up, and 16+ can take adult classes.
18. Draw, paint, and learn photography at one of the many teen classes offered by the KIA with classes offered year-round.
19. Head to Art Hop on the first Friday of the month with your friends. It’s a perfect way to explore Kalamazoo and support local artists.
20. Play team frisbee with the Kalamazoo Ultimate Disc League. They offer a youth league.
21. Paint the night away at Art Bayou, Happy Our Art, or Painting with a Twist.
22. Drop by Kalamazoo Candle Company and make your very own candle. Explore the different fragrances and mix & match your favorites until you find the perfect combination. Create your very own labels for unique-as-you candles.
23. Foodies should head to Mattawan’s NONLA Vietnamese Street Food for authentic Vietnamese cuisine and follow it up with fresh donuts at Schultz Fruitridge Farms in the fall.
24. Drink a cup of java tucked away at the trendy and scooter-cultured Fido Motors Cafe.
25. Grab homemade root beer and a dog with your friends at The Root Beer Stand.
26. Go on a donut adventure by attempting the Kalamazoo Donut Trail.
27. Head to the Air Zoo to see their latest exhibit or climb aboard a 3D Full-Motion Flight Simulator. Save your money to take control of a real plane with a barnstorming flight experience in an open cockpit Biplane adventure (seasonally mid-May thru September).
28. In the summer, make your way to Coldwater to catch a flick at the old-fashioned Capri Drive-In Theater.
29. Volunteer at one of the local libraries to gain experience and volunteer hours, and make friends. Kalamazoo Public Library has the Teen Task Force and Portage Library offers the Teen Volunteer Training Meetings twice a year. Check the PDL calendar for details.
30. Try the high dive at WMU’s Gabel Natatorium during open swim on the weekends. Or, relax in a tube at Flash Flood Outdoor Waterpark in Battle Creek during the summer.
31. Catch a concert or game at Wings Stadium. They offer everything from current artists, K-Wings games, and special events like the USA Curling Nationals.