Swim Lessons in and around Kalamazoo
Summer will be here before we know it, and so will those pool parties and trips to the lake! It is always a great time to learn how to swim or to brush up on swimming skills. You’ll find lessons to suit your swimmer’s age and skill level. Swim lessons are the perfect way to dive into the season – check out our complete round up of aquatic centers around Kalamazoo that offer swim lessons.
Swim Lesson Options
1560 M-40 North Allegan, MI | 269-205-8759
The Allegan Swim School offers a variety of swim lessons using SwimAmerica unique, 10-level program that builds confidence and competency in the water. All instructors are certified through SwimAmerica.
Parent/Child Lessons: Children ages 6 months to 5 years old. Parent & Child lessons will walk parents through the process of helping their child become more comfortable in the water, teaching not only survival skills, but independent movement in the water.
Group Swim Lesson: Children ages 3 and 4 will develop comfort and balance in the water. Children 5 years and up will build confidence and competency in the water based on the foundation of balance, breathing, and buoyancy.
Homeschool Lessons: These lessons are only for those that are part of a homeschool program. They are registered with the Hamilton Homeschool Partnership, but any homeschool child can participate.
Adult Lessons: For those 18+. 4:1 adult to instructor ratio. Lessons are structured around individual’s needs. Private Lessons also offered.
3025 Gull Road, Kalamazoo, MI | 269-552-2342
Borgess offers a wide range of fun, educational swimming courses designed for children ages 8 months and up. Their swimming programs include:
* Babes in Arms (age 8 to 24 months)
* Ready-Set-Go (age 20 to 48 months)
* Seashells (age 3-5 years)
* Coral (age 3-5 years)
* Home School Swim (ages 6 to 14)
* American Red Cross Learn to Swim Levels 1-6
* Private Swim Lessons
6789 Elm Valley Drive, Kalamazoo, MI | 269-544-3232
The Bronson Athletic Club offers aquatics classes and swim lessons for everyone. Classes take place inside the climate-controlled indoor Aquatics Center year-round. The group swim lesson levels are:
* Aqua Babies I: 6–18 months*
* Aqua Babies II: 18 months–2½ years*
* Aqua Toddlers: 2½–3½ years*
* Water Bugs A: 3–4 years
* Water Bugs B: 4–5 years
* Levels 1–5: Begin to swim levels
* Requires parent in water with child
BAC’s aquatics instructors also specialize in private swim lessons. Swim classes are open to non-members of BAC.
1001 W. Maple Street, Kalamazoo | 269-345-9622
2900 W. Centre Ave., Portage | 269-324-9622
The Y is “America’s Swim Instructor” and the most accessible community resource to prevent drowning and encourage a lifelong enjoyment of swimming.
There are three general categories of Y Swim Lessons:
- Swim Starters develops water enrichment and aquatic readiness in children ages six months to three years. This category focuses on developing swim readiness skills through fun and confidence-building experiences. Parents also learn how to supervise children in the water, how to prevent accidents and how to plan for emergencies.
- Swim Basics develops personal water safety and basic swimming skills in students of all ages. Swimmers develop a high level of comfort in the water by practicing safe water habits, engaging in underwater exploration, and learning how to swim to safety and exit if they fall into a body of water.
- Swim Strokes introduces and refines stroke technique in older students (school age, teens and adults). Having mastered the fundamentals, students learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social-emotional and cognitive well-being and foster a lifetime of physical activity.
422 Acorn Street, Plainwell, MI | 269-685-2425
The Plainwell Community Pool is located in the district’s middle school. It is open to all district residents for classes and recreation. It is a multi-lane pool of varying depth with two diving boards, spectator bleachers, changing rooms and a lobby.
Trojan Aquatic Club is a youth swim team for swimmers ages 7 thru 18. The winter season is designed to teach all four competitive strokes and turns. Competitive starts and relay exchanges will also be emphasized. All swimmers will be expected to participate in the competitive meets.
Portage Aquatic Club is a competitive swimming team that offers a “learn to swim better” program for those who wish to cultivate their swimming ability . Swimmers must be at least 7 years old and able to swim the length of the pool with their face in the water and breathing to the side to join. All new swimmers will need to be assessed to assure proper placement.
Junior Crocs (Ages 6-12) is the beginning level for all swimmers that are getting started in the sport or who enjoy the sport but are unsure about competing. Classes are held at the Portage North Middle School.
6225 North 39th Street, Augusta, MI | 269-731-3043
Centrally located between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek, the Wellness Center at the Sherman Lake YMCA is home to a six-lane pool with two diving boards. There are a variety of swim lessons available, open to both members and non-members. The Sherman Lake YMCA also offers a “Create-a-Class” option. Participants gather three or more friends who are close in swimming ability and contact the Aquatics Director to work out a schedule for a series of swim lessons for the group.
1903 W. Michigan Avenue, Kalamazoo, MI | 269-387-2550
Located on the campus of Western Michigan University, Gabel Natatorium offers a wide range of swim instruction from infant to adult levels, along with an introduction to diving as well as private classes. Classes begin for children 6 months with the Parent & Child Aquatic Class. Diving classes are offered where students learn diving safety, correct body alignment, and jumping technique. Swim classes are offered during the week and on Saturday.
Swim Class for Babies
Kalamazoo County Healthy Babies Healthy sponsors a FREE Water Babies class at the YMCA Maple Brach every Wednesday 10:30 AM-11:00 AM. The class is for babies six months to three years old. No more than onechild per caregiver. Dads welcome. Sign in at the front desk upon arrival. Limited number of spots available each week.