Autumn is Coming…
Between pumpkin patches, u-pick farms, fall festivals, outdoor excursions and family day trips, we’ve got you covered with our bucket list of 50 things to do with the kids this fall.
We have so many opportunities for family fun this season, and only a few months to squeeze all of the fun in. Dive in!
50 of Our Favorite Thing To Do This Fall
- Apple picking is a must. Head to your favorite apple orchard for the crisp taste of your favorite apple variety. Stay tuned for our Apple Picking Guide.
- Send your teen to an actual ghost hunt at the Portage District Library with the Michigan Paranormal Alliance!
- Catch a homecoming football game at one of the local high schools or colleges. Watch the Broncos take on Eastern Michigan University at the WMU Homecoming on October 6th.
- Enjoy the Free Day at Kids ‘N’ Stuff Children’s Museum in Albion – the 4th Thursday of every month.
- Attend the Orange Ice hockey game on October 27 with the Kalamazoo Wings.
- Attend the Kalamazoo Nature Center’s Farm-Tober Fest at the DeLano Homestead.
- Head outside with the Portage Park Rangers once a month to hear a story and go on a ranger-led hike.
- Visit a local farmers market and pick the perfect fall pumpkin and gourds for decorating your front porch.
- Take the family on a Fall Color Tour in and around Kalamazoo.
- Head out to Gull Meadow Farms for a number of special events happening during the fall season including Touch a Truck & Grandparents weekend as well as Princess & Superhero weekend.
- Attend the Kalamazoo Holiday Parade Downtown on November 10 to kick off the holiday season in style.
- Head out to Leila Arboretum for Spooky Science Saturday and enjoy trick-or-treating, STEM activities, and hayrides.
- Meet an author! You’ll love the author visits at Bookbug this fall.
- Head to Grand Rapids for the annual ArtPrize, running September 19 through October 7. Navigate the ArtPrize with a Family Walking Tour Guide – a handy reference on which venues to visit, where they are located and which exhibits kids will enjoy the most.
- Go on a nature hike on the trails at the Kalamazoo Nature Center.
- Head out to the W.K. Kellogg Bird Sanctuary for a nighttime Owl Prowl.
- Buy the perfect caramel apple or make your own!
- Go beyond raking and jumping in your leaves with one of these fun activities, including a leaf maze!
- Fall camping is pretty cool! Head to Silver Lake Resort Campground September 22 & 23rd for their SLRC Spooktacular event. A weekend filled with all things Halloween. Costume and site decorating contest, pumpkin carving, Halloween movie, and trick-or-treating.
- Carve a new design on that perfect pumpkin you picked with one of 700 ideas!
- Enjoy Harvest Fest in Vicksburg on September 30th. Activities include hayrides, Model A car rides, vendors with many homemade items, food booths, storytelling, a scavenger hunt, sawmill demonstration, and an old-time photographer with period costumes available.
- Make a stop to a local cider mill and dunk a hot donut into a fresh cup of cider.
- Make your own baked donuts at home.
- Trick or Treat at the Zoo Boo at Binder Park Zoo from October 18 – 21st. Take in unlimited train, carousel, and hayrides. Go down the Trick-or-treat trail and visit the wild science zone. Stage shows each evening includes magic acts, puppet shows, and DJ dance parties.
- Harvest and dry those herbs from your garden.
- GeekFest is all about entertaining the geek in you. You’ll find gaming, cosplay, robotics, crafts, artists, authors and more.
- Create your “thankful pumpkin”
- Attend Kalamazoo’s Eco Raft Race September 22 to build your own raft or cheer on all of the unique entries!
- Enjoy a low-key weekend breakfast out.
- Donate to your local food bank.
- Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day on September 19th with these fun ideas.
- Cheer on or participate in a fall run or walk.
- Plan to attend the Gilmore Car Museum’s Spooktacular. The Spooktacular features cool cars exhibited throughout the Museum, trunk-or-treating throughout the galleries, a feature film in the theater, and vintage car rides outside on the Historic Campus.
- Go to a Not So Scary Halloween magic and puppet show at the Kalamazoo Central Library on October 20. Reserve your seat for an afternoon of storytelling, puppetry, and magic.
- Looking for adventure? Try the Zip Line at VerHage’s Fruit Farm and Cider Mill. They have a variety of other rides and attractions not to miss.
- Jump into a leaf pile!
- Take the kids to the fall festivities at Wedel’s for their Pumpkin Party on October 6 and the Children’s Petting Zoo on October 12 and 13th.
What’s on your fall bucket list?
PIN For Future Reference